Thursday, December 13, 2007

Heat is WONDERFUL!

The ice storm started right on schedule Monday night. We had already gone to our WIC appointment and gotten groceries at Walmart--ran into three people I hadn't seen for ages there--a former neighbor, Tajir's boyscout leader from last year, and a friend who is almost though her foster training. We were ready to be snowed in--we weren't really prepared for the power to go out Monday night at 11:00. Tuesday morning it was about 60 degrees in here--chilly, but okay. A neighbor came over with her babies and we managed to get though lunch and dinner--by candlelight. Wednesday Jeff called to wish me a "Happy Anniversary" (our ninth!). I got up and discovered it was now down to about 50 degrees in here, but I still had hot water. So I did dishes and cleaned up a bit. My neighbor came over again and we had lunch. We kept getting phone calls saying the power would be on at noon...at two...at four...at six...by midnight. I went out to the garage and rummaged through our camping stuff. Found the camp stove AND it still had fuel. So (after calling my dad to walk me through it) we had HOT hot dogs for dinner (with pork-n-beans and clementines.) Not much of an anniversary dinner--but it was by candlelight. (grin)

My neighbor went home and we came up to the tv room and played. The power kicked on twice--for about a minute each time, and we went ahead and went to bed. I woke up a little before midnight and went around to check on the kids. It was getting pretty cold and I was just starting to get a little worried. In the middle of my rounds (during which all babies were warm and snug!), the lights kicked on. I sat up for about an hour after this, drinking a cup of hot tea and counting my blessings....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home