Friday, June 26, 2009

Wow. Trig sucks!

It's been so long since I've taken algebra. I get most of the Trig stuff, 'cus I can draw pictures and SEE the problem, but I've forgotten a lot of the basics--like complex fractions and logs, and factoring complex elements.... Any way, I studied a LOT before the first test--I felt I was well-prepared. The test was SO HARD!!!! Everyone complained and the prof threw out the first question entirely. (It was about figuring out the ratios of the two gears on a bicycle chain and then figuring out how many times one of them went around in a kilometer!) I ended up with a 78%, which with my homework garde, puts me at a low "B". If I can keep that up, I'll be happy. The next test is the Monday after the 4th of July. I guess I'll take a short break from studying that weekend to see some fireworks....

My professor is a cutie, though. He's French--here from NYC finishing his Math PhD. He cares so intensely about math, it's hard not to go along for the ride.

My other class is easy--and interesting. I'm taking it online, which I really enjoy. It's my first Nutrition class and I'm learning all kinds of fun things--and my poor family is reaping the benefits of my new knowledge with all kinds of healthy food.

The summer is zipping by. It finally got HOT here last week--our poor air condition can't keep up. It's running non-stop and the main floor never gets below 84 degrees--plus we have to turn it off periodically to let it de-ice.

The kids are all doing well. Keeping busy--Taj is creating all kinds of things from legos right now--I"m so tempted to get out my little legos, but have horror-visions of stepping on sharp little square pieces of plastic when I get out of bed at night. The big legos are bad enough. Aria loves having her own room--except she's been letting the little girls bunk in with her lately--the basement is about 30 degrees cooler than the loft. Both 2 year olds are day-potty trined. Sascha did it about 6 months ago--and LB just caught on that he gets a jellybean if he pees in the toilet--and a piece of chocolate if he poops. He is VERY candy-motivated, so he's doing great!!

Nina is kind of stuck in the middle--I rally wish she had someone near her age to play with on a regular basis--she is either the torturer or the victim, depending on whether she is playing with the "big kids" or the "little kids". But putting her in to sleep with Sascha has seemd to cement their relationship....

"NB" is doing well. She's still figuring out what she wants to do with her life--but she does want us to adopt her. She's really become part of this family in the last year, and we are working on the paperwork. He little one is a doll--getting into everythng and following (and copying) the 2 year olds.

Well, back to homework. 5 more weeks of summer school--then I get about three weeks off and fall semester starts about Aug 18th (?)

Lisa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home